The Yes Movement Begins On RAW
As I explored in the Rumble blog I think it’s now very likely that Daniel Bryan’s exclusion from the 30-man match was pre-planned specifically to outrage fans and launch the “Yes Movement”. There is no way the company didn’t foresee this kind of reaction, their booking created it. From Summerslam onwards the whole story has been about the Authority holding Bryan down against the will of the fans. They know what’s “best for business”.
As time goes on I find it hard to believe that WWE are legitimately trying to bury Bryan, because it simply isn’t working. He gets a better reaction now than he did months ago. He is consistently included in main event segments and matches. If they wanted to bury him, they would make him say stupid things, put him in job matches and play backstage politics to undermine him, not do it out in the open to rile up the fans. More fans are talking about the product now than ever, and the emotional investment people have in Bryan is a spectacle to watch.
I totally understand why some people are annoyed, because they don’t have faith that WWE will actually create a real pay-off, but as JR said in his blog … you can’t judge a storyline properly until its conclusion. We simply don’t know how the saga ends yet. If the fans continue to rally behind the underdog, push the Yes Movement on social media and make their voices heard in the arenas, and then against all odds Bryan manages to secure the Championship – that will put everything else in to perspective and make for one of the greatest moments in the modern era.
It will also demonstrate that finally WWE are moving away from traditional hot-shot and illogical booking, to something more nuanced that rivals the major TV dramas. Good stories are simply not told in a month any more. It takes a whole season.
It’s not clear exactly where the Yes Movement is headed. As I suggested earlier, I personally would push it as a mirror of the Occupy Movement. Encourage or stage fans to camp outside the arenas, and have flash mobs surround the Authority’s limos when they pull up. Get Bryan to deliver impassioned speeches outside to the people. Do riot segments where the Shield lead a backlash against protesters. Have Beardnonomous “hack” WWE.com. Have hooded anarchists spray paint “Yes” on WWE property. When fans are chanting YES at inappropriate times, have the babyfaces stage a sit-in, where they refuse to leave the ring until their and the fans’ demands are met. Create a Daniel Bryan style Guy Fawkes mask with a goat beard for people to wear in defiance, but make sure only Bryan and co hand them out for free. The possibilities are endless.
January 27, 2014, WWE RAW Results
– Daniel Bryan interrupted the Authority and said he deserved to be in the Rumble. Triple H mocks the fans and they make the lame excuse that they were trying to protect him from injury. Bryan demands that he be netered in to the Elimination Chamber, and the Authroirty leave him to fend off The Shield with a chair, until Sheamus and Cena make the save.
– It’s announced that Bryan, Sheamus and Cena will take on The Shield, with the winning team being entered in to the Elimination Chamber match with Randy Orton.
– The Real Americans def. Rey Mysterio & Sin Cara, when Cesaro hit a European uppercut and the Neutralizer on Sin Cara.
– R-Truth def. Fandango, with the Lie Detector.
– Batista and Brock Lesnar confronted WWE World Heavyweight Champion Randy Orton.
– Dolph Ziggler def. The Miz, with the Zig Zag.
– The Usos def. Ryback & Curtis Axel.
– Alberto Del Rio def. Kofi Kingston, with the Backstabber, and then told Batista that he might not make it to Wrestlemania.
– Cody Rhodes & Goldust def. WWE Tag Team Champions The New Age Outlaws via Disqualification, after Brock Lesnar interfered and decimated the Brotherhood with F5s and the chair.
– The Bella Twins & The Funkadactyls def. Divas Champion AJ Lee, Tamina Snuka, Alicia Fox & Aksana.
– John Cena, Daniel Bryan & Sheamus def. The Shield via Disqualification to qualify for the Elimination Chamber Match, after The Wyatts attacked Cena.
Jake Roberts Announced For Hall of Fame
Despite some apparent heat with the Ultimate Warrior, Jake Roberts was the second legend to be announced for this year’s Hall of Fame.
He wrote on Twitter:
“The prodigal son is welcomed home. Thank you WWE & all my supporters for sticking by me. I hope all are enjoying as much as I am.”
Steve Austin wrote on Twitter: Austin:
“Congrats to @JakeSnakeDDT. #WWE HOF. It’s about damn time. One of my all time favorites.”
Mick Foley also Tweeted:
“He did it! Good for you @JakeSnakeDDT – well deserved, and long overdue. Can’t wait to hear that speech at #WWEHOF. #RAW”
Christian Returning On SmackDown
It has also been announced that Christian will be returning to action at Tuesday’s SmackDown tapings from Toledo, OH. He has been out since the Summer with a concussion, though it appears he was also held off TV for other reasons.