I wrote back in January that WWE looked to be booking a fan uprising for Daniel Bryan and that if they were smart they’d play off the Occupy movement that has become culturally significant across the world.
If executed correctly I envisage a “Yes Movement”, where fans protest through social media and with chants and boos at the arena, where Daniel Bryan leads rallies outside the building, and YES activists “hack” WWE.com. In the end the uprising becomes too powerful and Bryan ends up in a title match, winning the belt and changing the course of history!
Though there were lots of elements they could have used to apply the heat, tonight on RAW Daniel Bryan staged an Occupy style in-ring protest and wouldn’t budge until Triple H not only accepted his Wrestlemania challenge, but agreed that if Bryan wins he’ll go on to join Batista and Randy Orton in the main event for the title.
Though people want to speculate that the fans forced Triple H’s hand, and in reality he really wanted to bury Bryan … there is no evidence for this. If the payoff comes it will be the perfect ending to the storyline, and an example that even though Kayfabe is dead, in 2014 everybody still believed.
March 10, 2014, WWE RAW Results
– Hulk Hogan announced that at Wrestlemania there will be a 30-man Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal. Kofi Kingston, Damien Sandow, Ryback, Curtis Axel and Big E, are all confirmed for the match.
– John Cena was excited by the news and entered his name, but The Wyatts interrupted, causing Cena to challenge Bray instead. There was no response but Erik Rowan was sent to face him in a match.
– John Cena def. Erick Rowan. After the match Harper attacked, but Hulk Hogan helped Cena stand them down.
– WWE Tag Team Champions The Usos def. Ryback & Curtis Axel.
– Intercontinental Champion Big E def. Jack Swagger, after Cesaro refused to interfere. Before things could erupt in to a brawl, Zeb Colter calmed things down … for now.
– The Undertaker addressed Paul Heyman and Brock Lesnar, but Heyman soon interrupted. The Phenom wasn’t exactly shaking in his boots, demanding Heyman bring Lesnar a dark warning of what’s to come: “If he shows up in New Orleans, he will rest in peace.”
– The Shield def. Cody Rhodes & Goldust.
– The Bella Twins def. Divas Champion AJ Lee & Tamina Snuka, with the Nikki Rack Attack on AJ.
– Daniel Bryan and the ‘YES!’ Movement occupied Raw, goading Triple H to accept the Wrestlemania match and agrreing that if Bryan wins he’s entered in to the title match.
– Sheamus def. Christian in a Memphis Street Fight.
– Daniel Bryan & Big Show def. WWE World Heavyweight Champion Randy Orton & Batista, when Bryan hit the running knee on Orton.